Home » Audio » Speaker » The Subwoofer thing
Re: Speaker placement [message #18665 is a reply to message #18663] Tue, 28 March 2006 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I understand now that you are really talking about three different kinds of woofers. One kind is used as woofers in the mains, which are to be symmetrically placed. Another is a VLF sub, used to augment the extreme bottom end, rolled off where the mains come online. And a third kind of woofer is placed randomly, covering a range of midbass, overlapping the mains and designed to smooth room modes.

Perhaps randomly placed midbass drivers will smooth the sound field in the midbass, up to 120Hz. It's a reasonable suggestion. Then again, your proposed configuration is relatively complex with several woofers and crossover points. I also think having multiple distant and randomly placed sound sources run up through the upper bass to lower midrange might yield another set of problems. That's getting into the audio range where vocals, piano, guitar, cello, trombone and other wind and string instruments begin.

I suggest that we study various speaker placements in CARA to see the energy distribution through the room for each configuration.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message