Home » Audio » Speaker » The Subwoofer thing
Re: JBL 2242 [message #18633 is a reply to message #18627] Thu, 02 March 2006 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Thatch_Ear is currently offline  Thatch_Ear
Chancellor
I have a stereo pair of isobaric subs that go down to about 20 Hz. They are biamped and the difference between when they are on or off is quite noticable.
I am not sure how low my JBL D-123s go but no matter where they roll off at they are db down when they do. Say they roll off at 30 Hz (which I doubt) by the time they get that low they are producing the lows at a lower volume than the mids. If you are listening to a violin duet that is fine and dandy but if like me you occasionally get a wild hair and want to listen to some Yes at a bit higher volume the subs do make the difference between good and an emotional experience.
Even for most of the music I listen with a strong leaning toward acoustil instruments the ability to be db up and to adjust that to taste definatly brings a different level to the listening experience.
In case you are wondering about the isobaric there are 2 drivers facing the same direction, one sealed with the other ported but pushing the one in front. This gives you the low Fs of the ported sub, but adds speed so the driver in front can keep up with things like ribbons or electrostatic speakers. The drivers are not long excursion, which are best suited to HT or fart cars.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message