Home » Audio » Speaker » And now for something completely different ......
And now for something completely different ...... [message #18496] Sat, 28 January 2006 09:53 Go to previous message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
..... at least for me. Not a TL this time.

(Trivia question : What TV show did that line come from? You will show your age with the answer.)

Thought I would share my latest project, my son and I wired it up last weekend and it has been tweaked several times during the past few days.

http://www.quarter-wave.com/OB_Wings_Back.jpg

http://www.quarter-wave.com/OB_Wings_Out.jpg

This is an OB system (48" tall x 60" wide with the wings out) using either the Lowther PM2C, PM2A, or DX4 driver and two Dayton 15" high efficiency woofers (JBL 2226 clones) per side. I am using a DBX DriveRack PA digital crossover, the woofers roll off at 120 Hz 12 dB/octave and the Lowthers roll in at 120 Hz 24 dB/octave, and two Rotel RB-1080 200 watt amps.

All solid state and no passive BSC filter required. My calculations indicate the efficiency is about 98 dB/w/m and reasonably flat above 50 Hz. Decent bass into the 30 Hz range but no measurements yet to prove any of these numbers.

This is a very efficient system and even at fairly loud volumes the drivers barely move, you have to touch them to convince yourself they are connected. Great dynamics and bass. Best reproduction of a kick drum that I have heard from any of my own speaker designs, they can move a lot of air. Very similar sound to my Lowther ML TL design but with better bottom end, no big surprise I guess.

More details to come on my web site when I am done tweaking and find time to documented the project,

Martin

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message