Home » Audio » Speaker » Help w/New Project
Help w/New Project [message #18191] Wed, 26 October 2005 17:14 Go to previous message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
I've not been to this site before, but looks like lots of knowledgable folks from other parts of the www hang out here, so here goes with my quest...
I see posts all the time asking "What should I do for low cost", "What should I do for computer speakers", "What should I do for HT speaks?" ... but what if what I want is a new reference level design?

My audio brothers and sisters, my audio spirit is striving for a new project, a reference level, "I listen to it every day", kind of project. The problem is, I'm not that great at crossovers and all that math stuff. I can build any enclosure you can show me, and cost isn't a big problem (well, let's stay in the under $1000 range for a DIY project). What can I build that is high efficiency and, hopefully reaches a new level of audio high.
My taste in music is jazz, classical, chamber, vintage rock. I'd prefer small to large designs and don't mind adding a sub if needed. My room is larger, probably 16 x 20 x 8. My audio trek has already taken me to Fostex land, where I've been happy, but wished for better low-mid weight and less "paper" sound. My quest has also taken me to a nice slice of pi called the Thermionic 3pi, but the WAF wasn't great, and I'd like more precise imaging. My quest has also run into open baffles of various sizes shapes and configurations. Right now, believe it or not, I'm listening to the guts of a Dynaco A-25 (improved tweeter and crossover) mounted in an OB, with a sub filling in below 150hz (but not high eff). This is to say, there is no particular design I'm partial to or hold sacred, but I generally feel that simple is better. And I like triodes, and low power amps and I love dynamics, so high eff is the way to go.
Recently I've found myself aimlessly buying drivers on ebay, and have four Electro Voice vintage 12", high Qt drivers coming my way (Sp12b), and I've ordered some Arurm 2Gsi tweeters, but frankly, don't have a good idea what to do with all of them. The single driver site seemed to suggest BR, but the box would be very big.
Okay, ramble is over. What should I build? I've got on hand FE167's, FE166's, FF85k's, a couple of vintage Utah 12's (high eff, low Qt, but cab needed), I have coming the speakers above (EV's and tweeters). I've got guts for 4 Dynaco A-25's... but I'm willing to buy what I need.
What ideas can I get from the collective wisdom of this group? Again, if a crossover is needed, I'll need help. I'm okay in the woodworking department. What should I do?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: scan subwoofer
Next Topic: Advice on choosing best dsp to be programable for use with acoustical arrays
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 16:11:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio