Home » Audio » Speaker » Distortion mechanisms
my rant [message #17585 is a reply to message #17575] Fri, 25 February 2005 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
pgolde is currently offline  pgolde
Chancellor
I am a student of these forums and of audio. Much of what DR. Geddes and Wayne debate is not only over my head, but I lack the proper tools for measurement and the time to invest to prove either of their theories, once I do get a good understanding of both.
I think there is more R&D money in pro audio and more lately, high end home theater. I think designs like Dr. Geddes waveguide and TD's Unity Horn are proof of progress being made to reproduce sound as accurately as possible. Compression drivers, and cone drivers are using pretty much the same technology that has existed for decades. New designs are being proven still for new ways to get the most out of these inefficient devices, but most people dont give a rats ass. Every time I try to show a someone the basshorn I built, or even discuss it, the first thing out of their mouth usually goes something like this "oh, thats like the BOSE". Though playing music through them always puts a smile on their face.
I do enjoy learning as much as I can, wish I had more to contribute than questions or observations. I do also appreciate others sharing their trials for us to learn from and build on. But there is a point that is reached with DIY that gets very expensive to do better.
Dr. Geddes has years of scientific research to pull from, and is nice enough to share some of his findings and observations with us who are willing to read and listen. But unless I have my own scientific data to back up what I believe to be good sound, it is difficult for me, or a guy like me prove.
So on to the next project, a horn based on Leach math, using a BMS coax.
Thanks

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message