Home » Audio » General » Components beliefs
Components beliefs [message #1563] Tue, 03 May 2005 16:34 Go to previous message
Earl Geddes is currently offline  Earl Geddes
Master
I am often asked what I think of certain components, amps etc. and I often reply that it makes no difference to me. As I drove home from the GPAF it dawned on me that this might be misconstrued and perhaps some explaination is in order.

I do believe that there are likely differences in the sound of audio components, but to me it still doesn't matter. Consider this test.

Create four rooms of audio equipment, if the rooms are identical then it makes the experiment easier to follow, but it is not necessary that the rooms be identical, the same result will be obtained.

The components, loudspeakers, everything, must be hidden from view - of course the best looking system will always sound the best, that goes without saying!

Ask listeners to rate the systems. Now randomize the components in the variuos rooms. Rate again, (lather, rinse, repeat)

I can say with virtual certainty that the ratings will follow the speakers. Do the other compoenets matter? I am sure that to a certain extent they do, but in the big picture of the whole systems sound quality, they don't really.

The principle that I follow is "benefit bucks". What does one dollar of expenditure yield in sound quality benefit. To me the speakers are the overwhelming factor - always have been, always will be. I then weight my "budget" by the "benefit bucks" (everyone has a budget, and if you don't PLEASE contact me!). In other words, spend your money where it makes the most audible difference. In all of my systems the speakers are budgeted at about 65-80% of the total budget. To me this works out about right.

So back to our test. What about the looks of the equioment. Inexpensive amplifiers don't look "cool". If you buy this stuff based on its looks, then simply buy an empty chassis, place some tubes on it, some chrome, even some gold if you like, and put the Sony receiver in another room. That will save you a ton of money.

I like good looks too, and as far as a piece of sculpture goes - thats what a "pretty" amp is - I love sculpture. I have lots of it, all over the house. This helps to keep my desire for "pretty objcets" at bay when I go out and buy my audio equipment.

So - do audio components matter? Sure they do about 10% worth.

Just some sugestions.

Earl Geddes

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Beliefs
Next Topic: To All the Dear Mothers of You Mutha's...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 01:53:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio