Home » Audio » Speaker » series, parallel and speaker sensitivity
series, parallel and speaker sensitivity [message #16157] Sat, 21 February 2004 07:55 Go to previous message
wasteh202 is currently offline  wasteh202
Master
I am curious about toying with my speakers. I have a couple of pairs of the same speaker. The 2Pi tower, 8 ohms and 1watt = 97 db.
I am courious what will happen if I run the two pairs together. If I connect the pairs in series, I get a 4ohm load now... correct ? So what is my sensitivity now... does it change ? I should get a higher sound level... No ? I know that sensitivity ratings are measured with one speaker.. and that when you have a pair of 97db speakers that you should have 100db at 1watt( add 3db for the second speaker).
Does this still apply when you add a second pair that the increase in sound pressure will go up 3db per speaker or 6db per pair ? hmmmm?

It seems to me yes because I am running two pair instead of one. But does the sensitivity really change ? or am I really just allowing more current to go from the amp to the speakers at the same output from the attenuator ?

It seems I remember wondering about this question years ago, and coming to the conclusion that "there is no free lunch" yet I also remember being proved wrong... hmmmmmm ?

and if I connect them in parallel ?

the reason I ask this question is that I am seriously looking at the Decware Zen amp which is very low power, but drives speakers very well to 2ohms.

somebody help me please... thanks !

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Cool article on TNT-audio by a single driver nut...Thanx Martin!
Next Topic: Deal sheet from Parts Express... Goldwood 8"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jun 28 22:07:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout