Home » Audio » Speaker » Dried Bug in My Horn
Dried Bug in My Horn [message #16059] Fri, 23 January 2004 08:01 Go to previous message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
I have a Klipsch Cornwall that I use as a side speaker in a five channel setup. I was "playing" with it, using a signal generator to see its response - just out of curiosity. I noticed a terrible vibration and even beats between 55Hz and 70Hz. Also smaller buzzes at other frequencies, depending on the volume. These noises had not been apparent before. (I have not used these speakers a whole lot recently.)

My first thought was, "Oh ****, my horn has gone bad!" But, looking at it, I saw that a foreign object was deep in the throat of the midrange horn, right up by the phase plug. Using a long knife, I carefully extracted the bug, which was dried and brittle. Now, there is only a small buzz which appears at higher volumes, say, 90dB or so. Probably a little leg or wing sitting on the edge of the driver.

I don't really notice this. Should I leave well enough alone?

It is easy to get at the driver, because the rear of the speaker is screwed in. I have not looked to see how the driver is connected to the flare, but I wonder if I disassemble the driver from the flare, will I be breaking a seal, risking getting the bug limb deeper into the driver, or some other thing better not done? Suggestions?

Feel free to chuckle.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Does sensitivity MEAN coloration?
Next Topic: Basic Horn Questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 10:57:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout