Home » Audio » Speaker » Crossover Cap Comparison
Crossover Cap Comparison [message #15199] Thu, 16 February 2006 15:38 Go to previous message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I was wondering if anybody has done an evaluation of different brands of caps in their speakers' crossovers, especially the caps in the tweeter signal path. Looking at the brands I hear about most often I see a broad price range. For example, a 10uF Solen is $4.48. The same value Northcreek Zen is $9.35, a Sonicap is $17.60, an Auricap is $24.95, and a 10uF Hovland Musicap is $43.85.

My experience with cap comparisons has been limited to Solens, Northcreek Zens and Auricaps. I replaced the Solens in my Maggie 1.6's with Northcreek Zens and heard a significant reduction in treble harshness. I also tried a single Auricap (they don't recommend bypassing) and they provided greater resolution, but they sounded artificially bright in comparison to the Northcreeks. Didn't like them at all. I have also heard good things about Sonicaps from others but have not done any comparisons with them.

Has anybody else upgraded caps in a speaker crossover? What did you replace, and what differences did you hear?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message