Home » Audio » Speaker » New speakers again...
New speakers again... [message #14997] Tue, 24 May 2005 07:25 Go to previous message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Since I put away my EV LS-12 open baffles I've went through a pair of Klipsch Heresys and was using my EV Sx100 pro speakers untill a few days ago. I picked up a pair of old Avid 60 speakers at a garage sale. These are small, thin towers with a 6 x 9 whizzer coned driver run fullrange in a bass reflex box with a small cone tweeter augmenting it (crossed with a 2 uF cap.) They had a bad case of surround foam-rot. Being the cheapskate I am (and a poor beggar to boot), I decided to make my own cloth-roll surrounds. I've done this on several speakers in the past, so I was pretty sure it would work. It did. I've been listening for a couple of days now and must say I got my $6 worth for these.
The 6 x 9 drivers just appear to be common stamped frame drivers of the type that was popular in the late 70's. About a 10 ounce magnet on them. The sound is typical Avid, being taunt and detailed. Not a lot of bass extension, maybe down to 60-70 Hz, making them nice for use with my 12" CV sub. Sensitivity seems to be in the low to mid 90 dB range, but I haven't done any real testing yet to verify this. I'm having to much fun listening to them to bother with testing them. I'll try to get some pics in the next few days. Gotta get back to listening now...

Dave

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: New ESL Research
Next Topic: audax pr 17omo poor driver choice!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 06 03:08:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio