Home » Audio » Speaker » Trying to understand bass "quality"....
Trying to understand bass "quality".... [message #14807] Sun, 05 December 2004 08:41 Go to previous message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
In my current set-up I have a measured (Rane RA-30, pink noise) response flat (between -1 and -3dB, in-room at the listening position) to 25Hz.

Yet, the bass doesn't seem "right" - the only word I can use is "dry".

On real music (say piano trio) everything seems perfectly musical. Kick drum, the left hand of the keyboard seem just fine, realistic.

But on "fake" music the bass response just isn't there. Bob carver recommendeds Janet Jackson's Go Deep from "Velvet Rope" as a good bass response demo track - well, it's just not impressive, as in 1812-overture impressive.

There are some things that I know are not an issue: there's plenty of Xmax and plenty of power (500 wpc on each bass driver). Stroke and horsepower aren't the problem (if indeed there is a problem).

The driver Qts is 0.36 - I'm running them on 48" X 36" open baffles. As I indicated above the EQ is sufficient to support a pretty flat measured response to 25Hz.

So the bottom line is - Am I not hearing what I should? Or, is it that I expect to hear the bass response of systems that are bass-heavy?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Guess I'll never be an "audiophile"...
Next Topic: Array soundstage
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 19:29:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout