Home » Audio » Source » Interesting DAC Bargain - $135
It's Singing In My System [message #14262 is a reply to message #14250] Wed, 07 September 2005 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The DAC-AH arrived yesterday. It sounded harsh and two dimensional at first, but by this morning, after a full afternoon and all night playing, it has improved quite a bit. Then I turned it off, let it sit for about an hour, and replaced the OPA602 op amps with OPA627's. This wasn't as easy as I had expected because the space is tight and one of the sockets apparently had some debris in one hole. Getting the replacement in was hard. I hate all these little parts in modern electronic components - I pine for the good old days when the smallest part was a half inch long resistor and IC's were only a science fiction dream. No I don't.

I turned it on with the 627's installed and heard an immediate and obvious improvement. The image is quite a bit wider and more three dimensional. Instruments are more precisely placed. The digital harshness is gone. Now when little miss Norah whispers "Come away with me" I know she's talking to me and she means it. But I doubt she would buy me all this kewl audio gear like my wife does. This DAC will not cause any of the rich guys I know to sell their DCS Delius, Verdi, Purcell separates, but it's definitely one of those products whose performance exceeds what I would expect at its price point. Highly recommended as an upgrade from a mass market player!

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Sony PS-LX250H Stop Button
Next Topic: Thorens TD145 + Ortofon MC 20 - HELP!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 09:02:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio