Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Am I in the Right Place? (JBL 2226HPL)
Am I in the Right Place? [message #96589] Mon, 03 April 2023 02:13 Go to previous message
hazmoment is currently offline  hazmoment
Esquire
Hi. So I have recently built a pair of Dual Planar Front Horns which I purchased plans for from Joseph Crowe and CNC machined from Baltic Birch Plywood. They look fantastic and I'm very pleased. However, I am now looking to complete the project by building a bass cabinet for this 2-way design.

https://josephcrowe.com/blogs/news/e-250-dual-planar-front-horn

I was looking at the Eminence drivers previously but another opportunity has come up and it looks like I have acquired a pair of JBL 2226HPL drivers.

How would I know if these drivers would be suitable for a build like this, and how would I go about designing a suitable cabinet and cross over for the 2226HPL's?

I am fairly technically minded but speaker enclosures is a first for me as is crossover design!

I should mention that I build my own tube amplifiers. Specifically Ultra-Linear KT88 Single Ended approx 8-9Watts per channel which I want it to work well with so I think Im aiming for a very sensitive design but I do like music with lots of bass.
A consideration I had was to do as per the horn designers suggestion and try bi-amping with an active filter and with a solid state amp for the bass drivers, but I would much prefer a passive crossover and run it all from the tube amp!

Look forward to your suggestions!

Harry

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 2023 4pi build
Next Topic: Four Pi Build - recessed drivers