Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » New Production Tung Sol 6550, Penta KT88s (Concerning Audio Quality)
Re: New Production Tung Sol 6550, Penta KT88s [message #96292 is a reply to message #96284] Sat, 21 January 2023 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
positron is currently offline  positron
Viscount
Evidently no one uses them?

My testing has found both tubes to be rather thin, anemic sounding compared to JJs and Winged Cs.

So I demagetized both, using my 100 watt soldering gun magnetic field (gun windings), and both tubes became fuller than the JJs and Winged Cs. Quite a sonic change. The new Pentas just slightly fuller than the new Tung Sols.

When the tubes are manufactured, induction heating of the plate removes gases. Evidently, the switch/field is simply flipped, rather than gradual field removal.

So when one purchases a new output tube, what you purchase and hear is not necessarily what the tube sounds like after being demagnetized.

One could probably use a dryer, a motor, anything that produces an AC magnetic field. Simply rotate each tube around the AC device field, and then gradually distance the tube from close to 3 feet or more from the device, and power off the device.

cheers

pos

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message