Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Cleaning Connections on Equipment (How Often Do You Clean your connections?)
Re: Cleaning Connections on Equipment [message #96230 is a reply to message #96229] Tue, 13 December 2022 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

For me, it depends on the connector. I almost never clean gold connectors. Silver connectors are also pretty trouble-free; they definitely oxidize but silver oxide is conductive. It's very hard too, as an aside. But I'd probably clean my silver connectors every so often if I weren't moving the gear around that has silver conductors anyway. That makes the cleaning process somewhat automatic.

The really troublesome stuff is the gear with the old tin contacts. I don't have any hifi gear with tin contacts, except for one thing, the tube sockets. And I have a ton of vintage gear with tin contacts. I tend to "reseat" tubes pretty frequently - at least every few months - which is a sort of an abrasive form of cleaning.

Same thing with potentiometers. I sometimes hit those with tuner cleaner or flux remover but even more often - in between "real cleanings" - I run the wiper back and forth from stop to stop several times to brush the dust out.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: A 11 year long quest
Next Topic: Dating of 4 6CS7 (NOS) tubes from Sylvania
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 02:59:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations