Home » xyzzy » Tower » Why do appliances fail at bad times
Re: Why do appliances fail at bad times [message #96040 is a reply to message #96039] Tue, 04 October 2022 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

What bugs me is how many parts are no longer available for some appliances.

Just a few short years ago, I could expect to find every part for all my appliances. I could keep repairing them as long as I wanted.

But that's no longer true. I have an expensive combination stove / oven that I must replace only because one of the parts on the front door is no longer available. It still works, but is ugly because the front glass is cracked.

Same with my clothes washer. The top panel - immediately below the access door - is starting to rust. It is extremely easy to replace. But that part is no longer available.

If these were cheap little things that weren't made to be serviced, I could understand treating them as disposable assemblies. That's the way many things have gone. I hate that, but I do understand the sense in making an assembly so inexpensive it is best to treat it as a disposable part. But major systems that are clearly field-serviceable need to be supported by their manufacturers with repair parts.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Rotary dial cell phone (kit)
Next Topic: Future of blu-ray player
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 08:35:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout