Home » xyzzy » Tower » Crunch
Re: Crunch [message #95972 is a reply to message #95971] Tue, 06 September 2022 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
I am sure glad to see others hang on to strange stuff. I have a Timex-Sinclar 1000 in my shed. I have the expanded 16K memory and some programs to boot. Actually functional. More than I could say for the crunchie. A few other things include an original CMI 10meg IBM hard drive (about the size of a large brick) it works as well, an original IBM color monitor (works) ...I think you understand why all my closets are full and I have two sheds, one a 12X10 with 2 lofts and one 8X10. Like I said though, I use computers in lots of the things I do and demand performance from them. Because of how my eyes misbehave I need a high refresh rate so currently it is 240 at 2K rez on an Alienware monitor. To get that requires some fairly serious hardware. Right now a HP OMEN i7 8 core (gamer machine) with 2 SSD, 32 gigs and a Nvivia RTX video card. I have found that gamer machines can be better long term value than standard ones as they start out at a higher level of performance. Then when the updates I so dislike come along the degradation is at a slower pace. For a long time I was using an i3 with much lower capability and it was taking the best part of a day to do the mandatory upgrades and even then it ran so slow. Sad Turn it on, go for coffee, watch some of the weather channel and maybe by the time I got back it was ready to do something.

I love the Altair. I nearly got one until I discovered what it would cost at the time. I got a Commodore 64 instead.....that was a detour I should have avoided as while it was functional it didn't run any programs I needed.

Now I think I'll investigate steam powered automobiles that run on dung. There seems to be plenty of that flying around now. Laughing

Good Listening
Bruce

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Feel Good Story