Home » Audio » Measurement » PC SCOPE Concept
PC SCOPE Concept [message #95653] Wed, 01 June 2022 11:38 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
I posted this on another site, but it seems suitable here as well

"Hi Everyone. I really didn't know where to put this one. I am sure a number of you use PC scopes. PICO, Velleman etc. Likely some other types that connect to PCs. It took a while to discover an issue with most. If you spike the ground you can fry the input to the PC. Since most are USB now that can be really serious...as in replace the motherboard and possibly CPU. A PITA and usually costly. I figure that is what killed my Alienware and caused me to send my new HP OMEN in for warranty service. So I found a cheap and efficient way to get around this problem. Yes not spiking the grounds would be best, but with design and testing of tube gear stuff happens. So I ordered the device below. At the time a few months back it was barely over $100US. It is a mini PC in a really small size. about 6X6X2 inches. Just add an inexpensive keyboard, mouse and monitor. It has lots of connections. Yes it is not really fast and so on, but plenty fast for the scopes. I have a LG monitor that is used for TV in my shop and it has multiple inputs and auto select. HDMI works great out of the Mini. A bluetooth mouse and keyboard and away we go. The best thing IMO is that if you fry it, the fix is cheap compared to the previous alternatives. It runs WIN10Pro and is probably just the guts of a budget tablet PC. Still just perfect for this use. it would probably be fine as a net streamer for music and video.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BV9PTKP?ps ... ct_details

Good listening
Bruce"

Good Listening
Bruce

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: aX IEC 60268-5 replacement article
Next Topic: Complaining neighbors