Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » MDO - Instead of Plywood (Materials)
Re: MDO - Instead of Plywood [message #95626 is a reply to message #95622] Sun, 15 May 2022 13:59 Go to previous message
iplayforme is currently offline  iplayforme
Esquire
You're right Rusty. You should see what's involved in that wing. Someday I have to get started. I'm sure RVsixxer can tell you, you have to do a little something each day and eat the elephant one bite at a time. Not saying I know this from experience but that's the advice on kit planes and I guess anything else that big. The guy that designed the Legal Eagle, Leonard Milholland is 98 now. the EAA did some interviews with him a while back. Such a great example of that generation. He pretty much rolled his sleeves up and set out to design an ultralight legal aircraft and surprised a lot of people. It may not look too impressive, but for what it is, it's quite strong and has no bad habits. Many compare it to a Piper cub in the way it flies.

I bought a True Trac saw setup which looks pretty handy and they refunded my money for that crappy plywood. I have 3 sheets of that Medex on the way for $80 each delivered. I'm going to use a two part glue called Unibond. It's the same as Weldwood Plastic Resin just a liquid not powder. Totally un-necessary, but in testing various epoxies and glues for that Legal Eagle project I came to like that kind of glue. Pretty easy to mix and has a nice long open time. Dries like a rock and I believe is related to the adhesive that binds MDF together. I like epoxy too but I built 2 small boats years ago and got just a little sensitized to it. I'll use it when need be but still avoid it. I can veneer with the Unibond I think too.

Will post pics. Going to make every effort to make Wayne proud. These will go to my nephew some day so I'll give some consideration to that.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 4Pi - alternate compression driver mounting?
Next Topic: port and insulation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 02:00:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout