Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » MDO - Instead of Plywood (Materials)
Re: MDO - Instead of Plywood [message #95614 is a reply to message #95611] Fri, 13 May 2022 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You definitely don't want cabinets with any plywood other than Baltic Birch. Those voids aren't just a problem structurally - even more important to the sound - they are a problem acoustically. Debris breaks off within the voids and it buzzes. That's a very common problem for speakers made with plywood. So use either Baltic Birch plywood or MDF/HDF.

To tell the truth, MDF is actually better than Baltic Birch for sound. It is nearly a homogenous mix of wood pulp and glue so its resonant properties are easier to deal with. Knock on it with your knuckle and you'll hear what I mean - it's a dead thud. Most wood panels give a sharper rap, which clouds the midrange and give a distinctive "boxy" sound. So MDF to me is the best material to use unless the speaker will be moved a lot or subjected to high humidity, in which case I would suggest Baltic Birch.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 4Pi - alternate compression driver mounting?
Next Topic: port and insulation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 16:48:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout