Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » My 3π adventure
Re: My 3π adventure [message #95544 is a reply to message #95260] Wed, 20 April 2022 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
ppkstat is currently offline  ppkstat
Baron
I have located a knowledgeable cabinet maker here. When I finish with the plans I'll show it to them and hopefully move on from there.

These are sort of tricky to convert to the standards that are being used here. Imperial units have to be converted to metric and they have to be rounded in a way that the internal volume or proportions are not messed up and in a way that the maker can actually construct it with locally available MDF sizes. I've decided to use 19mm MDF which is slightly thicker than the original size (it's closer to 3/4). I will post the completed plans here in order to spot any possible issues before the construction.

However before that there is one area which is especially troublesome to convert and this is the bass reflex port. This 2 1/2in area is impossible to construct with any available MDF sheets here. It might be possible to construct it with a block of thick wood or by combining MDF sheets of various sizes and then probably taking off a millimeter or something but I'll have to discuss this with them. That aside cutting a hole with a diameter of 63.5mm is impossible. With that in mind I had the idea to use a plastic port, specifically this

https://www.monacor.com/products/components/speaker-technology/diy-/mbr-70/

I had the idea to cut this with a saw to an appropriate size by using the tuning frequency (30Hz) and the internal volume of the cabinet which in my calculations ended up being 108cm3. Given that the hole diameter of this is a bit larger than the original (66mm) the length should be around 57.4mm(2.26in). I don't know if I'm even able to cut it to this exact size and I don't trust my calculations at all!

I really don't know what's the best solution here. Maybe someone has constructed the port in metric before?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message