Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » My 3π adventure
My 3π adventure [message #95260] Fri, 18 February 2022 19:13 Go to previous message
ppkstat is currently offline  ppkstat
Baron
Well this is definitely going to be a ride.

Here's the deal: I don't know how to build speakers. These are going to be my first ones but I am a fast learner and I tend to read a lot. I am going to built them with the B&C drivers. I managed to source 2 12PLB100s which is near impossible in Europe. Price is not half bad either I should have them in a couple of weeks if everything goes well. Most difficult part to source are going to be the waveguides I should get them somehow from Wayne.

I decided to start with the part that I am most familiar with which is designing the PCBs for the crossovers. They are going to be built with Jantzen Cross-caps, Jantzen 15ga Coils and a mixture of Dayton audio and Mundorf MRs for the resistors. I don't like the idea of surface-mounting through hole components, therefore I am going to mount these regularly and then use a thick EVA sheet to mount them to the cabinet (I am thinking something like a camping mat). I am seeing a whole lot of different versions of 3pi crossovers in the forums, I guess it went through different revisions. This is the version I found on the latest 3pi plans, I just hope I got the values right.

Here is the parts layout, dimensions are in mm. I won't be posting the schematics since I don't know if that's permitted. Connectors are going to be 6.3mm gold plated spade tab terminals for the drivers and the binding posts and there's also going to be a screw terminal for the Zobell resistor. I am a bit worried about coil interference, I spaced them a bit apart and used different orientations to minimize this. I really don't know how much of an issue this will be.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3018&private=0

That's all for the time being and I am sorry for my English, it's not my native language.
  • Attachment: crossover.jpg
    (Size: 135.14KB, Downloaded 1158 times)

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message