Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » ECC 82 recommendation | Telefunken vs Mazda Belvu  () 1 Vote
Re: ECC 82 recommendation | Telefunken vs Mazda Belvu [message #94904 is a reply to message #94856] Sun, 12 December 2021 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
positron is currently offline  positron
Viscount
Hello Kasper, Bruce, and other Gentlemen,

I hope to provide a general reply to the subject at hand, and some personal information as others may not know me.

As an introduction, I have been doing R&D for some 40+ years developing an audio system in my lab as well as selling my products. Been retired for some 10 years.

With this setup, I am hoping my research results will help those in their quest for higher quality reproduction from their system(s). Some experimental listening test procedures are confidential since I developed them. I also perform multiple types of listening tests and compare the results for any discrepancies. Although measurements have some value, listening testing is the final test of course.

When designing my own components decades ago, it took months, even years, before the listening testing was completed and I was comfortable with the results.

I realize that most, if not nearly all, will not be able to conduct the same experiments or make the same system adjustments to their audio systems. However, some suggestions will be applicable if one is able to get at parts, including crossovers etc.

I am at somewhat of an advantage in that I have built my entire audio system from scratch, except for the source, which includes the dac, which I have significantly upgraded/modified. The phono, line preamplifier, interconnects, monoblock amps, speaker wires, and speakers are all my own designs.

No copying here. I have used many and different types of speakers, up to $28,000, and preferred to design my own due to accessibility problems in speakers parts/adjustments.

My initial response to the subject at hand is that I have found it preferable to create the lowest distortion possible for a given stage. That is why my initial comment.

(By distortion, I mean not only minimal THD, but also intermodulation distortion (IMD), hum, noise, grunge, frequency response (fr) deviations, channel separation issues, anything that causes the output to differ from the input of a stage, thus the component.)

Reducing distortion involves not only the design, but the parts quality/accuracy, the layout, and method of connecting parts etc. Everything makes a difference.

A truly accurate system will reproduce the recording to exceptional quality. Enough to drop one's jaw to say the least.

Anyway, I understand what you are working with Kasper. Those type tubes will have inherently higher noise figures etc and the manufacturer will make a difference, as you have presented. I hope all goes well with your endeavors.

I attempt to lower both the THD and IMD to the lowest levels for greatest fidelity. This also includes the design, parts quality, layout, channel separation etc. As mentioned earlier, everything seems to make a difference.

cheers and great week gents.

pos

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Good starter?
Next Topic: Identical gain & tonality in double-triode tubes (ECC82)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 15:33:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio