Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4Pi - alternate compression driver mounting?
Re: 4Pi - alternate compression driver mounting? [message #94481 is a reply to message #94480] Wed, 22 September 2021 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I don't think there are any build threads from people that used that approach. But I've seen a lot of photos of loudspeakers made this way, so you might search again. Hard to search for photos, I guess, just gotta scan the internet for them.

Some people put the waveguide in a box and mount it traditionally, setting the tweeter box on top of the woofer cabinet. Others have the waveguide sitting on top, bare. Many people paint the waveguide.

When sitting the waveguide bare on top, the biggest challenge is what to do with the waveguide mounting holes. I would suggest using a filler material - like is commonly used in auto body repair shops - to fill the holes. Then lightly sand the front face so the filler blends and to remove any mold lines. Paint the waveguides with enamel and set 'em on a cradle. I use the cradle approach when I mount wood horns, and I think it looks really nice. See one of my tweeter cradles, below:

http://PiSpeakers.com/misc/Tweeter_Cradle.jpg
Tweeter Cradle

One last thing - I mentioned above that the woofer/tweeter geometry should be the same but you can center the tweeter. I assumed you knew that but wasn't sure, so I thought it best to clarify. It's just important that the waveguide face be flush with the midwoofer face and that the two are as close together as possible. That's why most people turn the cabinet upside-down - to make it closer to the tweeter.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message