Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4pi build with stands finally realized
Re: 4pi build with stands finally realized [message #94554 is a reply to message #94552] Sun, 03 October 2021 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Roger S. is currently offline  Roger S.
Chancellor
I have now spent some time listening, and the treble impresses me the most compared to my former setup with a Fane 60x50 tractrix horn. The horn has no honk as promised, and treble is airy and smooth. Good low level detail. After finetuning the eq notch around 1,3-3k I have no listening fatigue at all. With 500watt on the woofer, and 125watt for the horn, I had had no problem playing stupid loud either. Speakers are toed in in front of my listening position. I guess I listen closer to the 10 degree axis now, and imaging is really good. Integration with subwoofer was easy. Added +3db low shelf on the woofer to straighten the response a bit deeper, then added 80 Hz 4th order LR to the 4pi and 73 Hz 36db LR to the subwoofer. I tend to run the subs 4-6 db hot, so the effective xo for the sub will go up a bit. Timealigned the two, and transition is really good.
The last test I did was testing the port tuning. I disconnented one wire from the amp, attached an amperemeter and used the tone generator in REW to find the frequency with the impedance dip/highest current draw. I was surprised it was down at 35 Hz as the internal dimensions are exactly as described. Port dimensions and length are the same. I guess the damping material I added on top and sides behind the port is to blame. It is close enough to the port to extend the effective length. Will probably try to remove some of it later to rise the tuning. I am going to use subwofers anyway, and the effect at 80Hz is minimal anyway.
It has been a lot of work, but I am now a happy owner of 4pi's, and it is time to relax and listen to music. Hope this build will inspire others too;)

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: SPL rating affected by horn?
Next Topic: 2-way Corner Speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 09:09:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout