Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4pi build with stands finally realized
Re: 4pi build with stands finally realized [message #94415 is a reply to message #94414] Sun, 12 September 2021 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Roger S. is currently offline  Roger S.
Chancellor
Building the cabinet.
I wanted flushmonted driver/horn, so I used the router on the outer baffle first. Then I cut out the holes, glued the outer front to the inner and used a copy bit to to make the same cutout on the inner front.
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2822&private=0
There was a guide bushing accessory my handheld router, so I made a template for the horn flushmounting. I think I made four versions before I was happy with the fit. The horns were slightly different in size (approximately 1 mm), so I ran them through my router table to make them 100% alike.
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2823&private=0
Parts start to come together. I twisted my mind to find a decent way to make the port opening in the baffles flush with the port construction itself. I ended up cutting out a slightly smaller port opening in the baffle, glued the port to the baffle and ran the whole construction face down on my router table with a long copying bit to follow the sides of the inner port. Port opening was finished with a roundover bit to follow the "rounded" design of the speaker and to appear as large as the horn.
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2824&private=0
I used masking tape to avoid glue spill. Experience from earlier mistakes taught me that oil or wax dont dont absorbe on those spots. You may have to sand really deep to fix it.
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2825&private=0
First sanding of top after side panel assembly. A good start. Side panels were rounded off with a roundover bit with same radius as the plywood thickness. Had to practice on several pieces to find the right router/feeding speed. It is damn easy to get burnmarks. This was done on my routertable to ensure stable feeding and guiding.
/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2826&private=0

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: SPL rating affected by horn?
Next Topic: 2-way Corner Speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 04:59:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout