Home » xyzzy » Tower » Microcomputer History
Re: Microcomputer History [message #96013 is a reply to message #93728] Thu, 22 September 2022 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I love those old multi-platter disk drives. And you're right that they were the size of washing machines. Shook like a washing machine too during rapid disk seek operations. They usually had a large linear motor that moved the heads, and by large, I mean 100 pounds or so. Enough force they could break your arm if it went into emergency retract while you were aligning the heads. So you had to be careful how you adjusted the heads, where you pushed them as you tightened the set screw.

Love the old 9-track tape drives too. Especially the Data General 6026, which used vacuum columns as tape tensioners. It was a beautiful drive. Loved to watch 'em jerk into motion, to seek, retrieve data and return back to BOT.

Quick update - I have created pages on the following computers:
Just finished the Altair page so that reminded me to come back here and mention it. The Altair page talks about "the old days" and it also has a "build" section with links to places to buy parts. It even has a link to a page that documents the entire build process.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Paintings come to life
Next Topic: Rotary dial cell phone (kit)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 08:42:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio