Home » Audio » Source » HD Vinyl
HD Vinyl [message #93606] Sun, 25 April 2021 08:06 Go to previous message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I've been following this out of curiosity for a couple of years. https://hdvinyl.org/ A proprietary process using laser cutting the grooves directly on a ceramic stamper plate. Eliminating the multitude of steps used traditionally creating the vinyl record. Promising greater fidelity and higher quality control with an extended stamper life. And it's eco friendly! That's always a swell catch phrase to market anything these days. What remains to be seen is if this startup will ever be a viable process to sustain an alternative to, or replacement of the traditional record making method tried and true.

What'll it cost for one of these platters and will it sound so sublime to be worth the extra money? As is, people plunk down extra for audiophile type vinyl like Mobile Fidelity or Analogue Productions labels. Then there's the total stretch of gullibility with the well heeled throwing silly money at what's called "Hot Stamper" records. Records presumably of greater audio quality due to being among the early stamped records of a stamper plates lifespan. https://better-records.com/
Yeah right. Anyway I'll keep following just for curiosity sake. I'm just fine with the tried and true. But a little innovation in a arcane format is commendable I think. Good luck to them.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Any tapers on here?
Next Topic: Sourcing old records and tapes