Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Amp Camp Amp
Re: Amp Camp Amp [message #93688 is a reply to message #93687] Sun, 09 May 2021 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
pjanda1 is currently offline  pjanda1
Esquire
Excess gain is a frequent problem with high efficiency speakers the dramatically shortens the list of possible preamps. But if you are going to drive SS subs other than from the speaker output (or especially a DSP for the sub(s), some of which have nasty low input impedance), you generally need not just something more than a passive pre, but something with some oomph. The First Watt B1 buffer is a great option for something that sounds great, has no gain, and will drive anything.

I really, really like looking at tubes. But I am very frustrated by how good the B1/F5 combo sounds. Not to mention being dead quiet and entirely trouble free for years (while my tube amps hum, burp, fart, and engage in various other shenanigans).

The B1 also leaves you confident you are comparing amps and speakers, as it isn't adding or detracting much of anything on its own.

I'm not a fan of the idea of a tube buffer, which generally means a cathode follower, but I've never played with one. I do like 12B4 preamps, which have moderate gain and can drive SS loads, especially with a constant current source on the plate. But see the above comment about noise and shenanigans, as 12B4s can be troublesome in that regard.

Paul

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message