Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Amp Camp Amp
Re: Amp Camp Amp [message #93430 is a reply to message #93422] Sun, 04 April 2021 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
tom-m is currently offline  tom-m
Baron
Hi,
Here is my feedback and alternate suggestions.

I had ACA mono blocks about 1 year ago. I purchased the kits new, and had a qualified professional build them. His labor cost was about $325. Worth it for me. I am not a builder and wanted them done right. They were built as mono blocks, not stereo that can switch to mono. I had them built differential, balanced. I have a balanced preamp. I never thought they would be my only amps, but wanted to try them out. And not too pricey for class A.

I sold them after about 1 year of ownership. I have efficient speakers, much like Pi 3 or 4. But the amps did not provide the kind of dynamics I wanted. I like some punch and a big sound, in a medium big room. Overall, just too mellow, or laid back for me. They did sound good. Very smooth. But in the end, I just wanted more head room. I always wondered if the laptop style power supply was limiting some of the amp's dynamics and punch. I don't know.

Two alternatives come to mind, but not kits to build.

After I sold the ACAs, I purchased a used Ayre V3 amp. This used amp was priced just $200 more than I had in the kits with build cost. Totally different amp sound. Very big and dynamic. Also very quiet with he chokes Ayre uses in the power supply. The V3 is fully balanced. And some class A output.

The other suggestion is a Schiit Audio Aegir. This is a low power class A amp. The new price is about the same a 2 ACA kits. And if someone wanted more power, buy 2 and run mono. I have not heard these, but they look interesting at a good price.

In the end, you may enjoy building the kit. I am a big fan of N. Pass, and all the First Watt designs. I had a F5 about 10 years ago.

Tom

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message