Home » Audio » Speaker » Futzing with vibration control
Re: Futzing with vibration control [message #92752 is a reply to message #92514] Sat, 12 December 2020 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
Hi Barry.

I do like the sound of this preamp, it seems to get better with use. I know its controversial to say....but I swear its broken in some. Ive had the break in effect with most of my new diy gear, some more than others...

As far as the speaker comparison, I don't think your view is all that much different than mine.
With the 7pi corner horns, the kick drum DOES sound more realistic than the 4 pi's.
To my ears in my room, the 4pi's with flanking subs are not way off...second closest to a live sound or "band in the room" to the 7pi's.
I'm guessing the corner horns have the 4pi's beat in the 200-2000 Hz range.

Have you ever heard the difference between a kick drum low passed at 150-200 Hz. vs. 1000-1200Hz?
I'll tell you that the degree of realism and PUNCH from the 1000Hz sample is massive compared to the other.
To my ears, mid range clarity and accuracy have a huge impact on the realism of a recorded event, it sounds more "live".
I don't doubt the mid horn is better at that.

As far as the subs, my room may have a lot to do with it.
The entire ceiling is an 8" thick x 14.5' wide x 28' long bass trap. Ive had the subs distant and it makes absolutely no difference.
Walking around the room with test tones (or music), there are no discernible nulls or modes that can be heard. The room is generally flat no matter where the subs are located.
I put them front and center for practical reasons,
and for the use of low frequency extension alone. They just happen to be flanking the corner horns (towards the inside not outside) Also they are in an alcove so the front baffles are flush with the front wall.
Ill try to post a pic.

When I had the system upstairs (exact same dimensions but no bass trapping) it was a totally different story, and the distant (and flanking) subs made all the difference. Really evened out the bass response in the room.
To my ears the flanking subs still helped the most. But then the distant subs helped really even it out the rest of the way.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message