Home » Audio » Speaker » Futzing with vibration control
Re: Futzing with vibration control [message #92621 is a reply to message #92514] Mon, 16 November 2020 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
Johnnycamp, haven't seen anything about your 7's lately. Did you get the doghouses done? Are you still running the Oddwatt amps?

Wayne, I have to apologize, we've been through this problem before but it's been a few years and it completely slipped my mind. It's likely the small amplifiers low input impedance isn't doing well with the front sub crossover and cables.

Did some experiments. When the amp camp amp is driven by just the preamp it sounds OK. It doesn't have as much bass as the class d amp but the bass sounds detailed and pretty quick. Add the y connector and cables for the flanking sub crossover and the sound shifts and loses some clarity. Turn on the crossover and the sound really shifts - bass and mids lose detail. It doesn't sound horrible, but it gets way too polite.

Goosed the volume control with the crossover on just to see if it was just a volume related issue. But the sound was still polite.

A solid state preamp seems to lessen the effect a bit but it's still there. So the flanking subs are off for now and I'll start borrowing amps until I find something suitable that gets along with the crossover.

Evidently there was so much bass smearing before using the rubber isolators under the speakers that it likely just masked the issue. Or over time I'd gotten used to the sound.

Back to the 2226's. I understand the low volume characteristics of the 2226's and how they change as the volume gets louder. You've mentioned it a number of times and it's a unique enough characteristic that it's easy to remember. Turn up the volume and the alignment shifts.

But is there any difference between a powerful amp and a less powerful amp at normal listening levels? If you've got jazz going at about 90db (which is actually kind of loud) you're likely averaging something like 1/4 watt.

A 10 watt amp would still have about 17 or 18db of headroom available. What would a more powerful amp do in that situation that the little amp could not?

Squonk at full tilt? Yeah, that's going to need some juice...

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message