Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Trigger finger is itchy
Re: Trigger finger is itchy [message #92130 is a reply to message #92120] Tue, 28 July 2020 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Yes some feed back would be nice. The write up makes me want to mention something about signal to noise. I notice that the preamp is listed as DBA for S/N. This is a common way to do it but..... it might not tell the whole story. DBA uses a roll off for noise below say 200 HZ and is really steep below 50HZ. I personally prefer DBV. That is flat without any roll off. At about 20HZ the difference is about 40 to 50 db. So at 20HZ a device with a -80DBA S/N could actually have only a S/N of -40 DBV. Since the DBA curve is supposed to be related to the sensitivity of our hearing that may not matter to most folks. I personally have the feeling that low frequency junk can alter the quality of the sound. I was really chagrin when I measured my pre-production tube phono preamps at -53DBV at 20HZ. The DBV for 300HZ and up was -93. A less scrupulous designer would say fine -53 DBV at 20 is about -90 DBA and let it go. Not my style. I thrashed it and made several changes so that at any frequency below 300HZ it was at -80DBV and still at -90 to -95 above that. Is it quiet....yes indeed. So my message is beware of specifications and know what they mean. I encourage folks to listen to devices and determine if they are suitable and pass on the numbers. Smile

Good Listening
Bruce

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message