Home » xyzzy » Tower » Cool Stuff in the Summer of 2020
Re: Cool Stuff in the Summer of 2020 [message #92088 is a reply to message #92087] Thu, 16 July 2020 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Super cool on that KT120 amp. I'd love to see and hear that one. I tend to tell folks buying my speakers that 10 watts is plenty, even for home theater. So 20 watts is perfect, because it gives a little extra headroom for transients.

I got an email yesterday from a guy that is planning to use an entry-level Bottlehead amplifier. I have a lot of customers with this kind of amp: 2A3 single-ended. Bottleheads use parafeed circuits too. That gives 'em about 100dB/M with my speakers.

Which brings me to my question: Do you have an entry-level kit? Inexpensive cabinet, simple circuit, low-power output? I've seen a handful of amps in the < $1K range, some SET and some UL. They make great "gateway drugs" for more powerful higher-quality tube amps.

On the Impala: Mine is a four door with a 327. The guy I bought it from had a two-door and a four-door, and for what this car is going to be for me, I wanted the four-door model. I already have a two-door Cutlass with a big block, aluminum heads and roller lifters. Nine Inch Ford in the back makes it look like it has big balls. But for this car, I wanted an antique "family car" with some Americana muscle car roots. It won't be the fastest car, it'll be a cruiser.

The four-door version of the 68 Impala looks very much like the two-door model to my eyes. The difference is the B-Pillars. Everybody says they like the looks of a car without pillars - and some people will notice right away - but most people really don't. And to me, the way the windows track is soooo much better. Everybody I know that has a car without B-Pillars has a window sealing problem. You gotta have new rubber and adjust the window angle in the door and still, they just don't seal like windows in tracks.

So I decided this car would be the four-door model. I think it looks awesome. I'm having it painted blue, and stitching in a diamond tuck blue velour interior. Dash and carpets are black. It has a Powerglide and a 3:08 rear-end gear, so the stock 327 has very little push. But I have a small block Chevy at the machine shop right now. I'll build it mild, but with roller cam and aluminum heads so I can get a little more out of it. Not intending it to need RPM to get into the power band though, so it'll have a low-duration cam. Might still swap out the rear-end gear for a 3:23 ratio, we'll see.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message