Home » Audio » Movies & Music » The Men Who Built America
Re: The Men Who Built America [message #92175 is a reply to message #92174] Mon, 17 August 2020 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'll look that one up.

I'm not sure if it's some kind of weird bias I have, but I have even less respect for the "tycoons" in the last 50 years than the ones from 100 years ago that we were initially discussing in this thread.

For example, I always thought Steve Wozniak was the real deal, but never thought much of Steve Jobs. Jobs was charismatic and kinda "hip, slick and cool." But he was really just a salesman. I always thought similarly of Bill Gates, but he wasn't even cool. He was just the first famous nerd. And even more so, guys like Zuckerberg. Talk about yawner technology. I just totally don't care. Definitely isn't like the guys that put us on the moon.

But they have been extremely successful. Most people I know would equate that to mean they're really smart guys. I don't. Not at all. I see them much like the robber barons of 100 years ago, all shuck and jive.

So I have to ask myself, how much of this is some kind of weird bias, maybe even envy? Why do I see them as charlatans? I mean, the Apple II was awesome, and the Lisa and the Mac even more so. Windows has been extremely useful for almost everyone on the planet, and after around 1995, it was actually pretty good software. I still can't find anything good about Facebook, but I don't think I should be too judgmental. It's fun for a lot of people. Most people don't want to develop their own blogs, so Facebook helps them publish online.

Still, the "tech giants" today mostly just gross me out.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: The Witch
Next Topic: Does Genre Influence Perception?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 04:24:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio