Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Joe's basement
Re: Joe's basement [message #91962 is a reply to message #91961] Tue, 26 May 2020 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Bruce is getting up in years, that's true. But he's got a keen mind, so while he isn't as spry as he once was - and definitely hasn't been lugging speakers to shows in a while - he is still sharp as a tack.

But Bruce likes the tractrix horns and I like constant directivity horns. Bruce is a tractrix guy and I'm a waveguide guy. There are a lot of things in common, but there are a few things that are optimized differently in the two approaches.

Bruce favors designs that optimize acoustic loading, even if that means directivity suffers. I favor designs that optimize directivity, even if that means that acoustic loading suffers. Both of us want low-distortion and purity of wavefront launch, but tractrix guys are content for the sound quality to be focused on a single axis whereas waveguide guys are concerned with a uniform reverberant field, and so expect sound quality to be good over a wide area in the room.

Still, we are definitely kindred spirits and I really like the guy.

We have actually been designing speakers for about the same length of time. I believe he started in this hobby in the late 1970s, and so did I. He is older than me, but I started young, as you can see in my first design copyright registration.

https://www.pispeakers.com/Copyright_VAu_14-641.gif

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message