Home » Audio » Source » Bent records
Re: Bent records [message #91927 is a reply to message #91926] Fri, 22 May 2020 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I'm having a lot of fun with this and I appreciate all the tips and encouragement. I am still working on the pizza stone experiment. Gofar99's suggestion is working the best so far. I think it helps that the pizza stones are round and the records are round. I decided not to put any more records in the oven. It creates an odor and it probably sets off toxic fumes. We're all still staying at home, and I don't want my kids around that. I also cook with that stove and don't want to jeopardize their health by serving tainted food. So instead of using the oven, I'm using the sun. It's a slow process, but I think that's part of what helps. The record is much flatter and it doesn't look like the grooves have been compromised. I need to stick it back outside again for a little longer once it stops raining. I know you aren't supposed to expose records to the sun, but the pizza slabs are covering it and I extended the silk so no UV rays are shining on the record.

Leot55, I thought about using rice paper but nixed that idea. It might have worked as a decent barrier/protector though. I just didn't want it to get sticky and leave some residue on the record. I also considered using a sheet of latex or just leaving the record in its sleeve, but I used silk instead because it's slow to catch fire and it's slick.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message