Home » Audio » Source » Bent records
Re: Bent records [message #91921 is a reply to message #91858] Wed, 20 May 2020 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
Rusty wrote on Wed, 13 May 2020 09:17
Hey Madison. I'm curious with your experiment using two panes of glass. From the video, using the two panes of glass seemed to work. I think they recommended heavier glass. What temperature did you use? Anyway, I'll be waiting for your experiments and how they go. Glad you decided to give it a try.
I'm not sure how much the glass weighs, but it was pretty heavy. I set the temp to 150. Several temps were recommended when I looked around. Maybe I should've set the temp higher. I wound up snapping the record when I tried to add some weights on top of the glass. Maybe I should've let the record warm up more before adding the weights or maybe I should have balanced them better. I'm not sure really. That record was the most severely bent out of the lot so there's a good chance it might've snapped no matter what.

I'm surprised there's so much talk about using a hair dryer to straighten out bent records on some of the other forums. It did absolutely nothing for mine and the record barely even warmed up. I wonder if I just didn't give it enough time, if that hack doesn't work and those recommending it have not actually used the technique, or the hack works on vinyl that is less warped or maybe vinyl that is thinner.

One of the records that I thought was too warped to play, actually plays just fine. I guess you really can't tell by sight alone.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message