Home » Audio » General » Innovations that changed media consumption
Re: Innovations that changed media consumption [message #91807 is a reply to message #91786] Fri, 01 May 2020 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
Interesting post, Wayne! That was a great read. I'm just the opposite in that my instant reaction is to recoil from new tech because I don't like change and I know how we're being monetized and commodified. However, I buy the gear as soon as the bugs are worked out and I typically enjoy it. I guess it almost feels inevitable and I don't want to behind the curve. I'm only nostalgic for things that were made better back in the day - more durable and made with quality materials - but much of what we have today is an improvement in terms of options and convenience.

@Madison, I think streaming options have made the biggest impact. Streaming led to the further decline of radio channels and their audience. Streaming led to many of us cutting the cord on cable. Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, are all fantastic, or at least they were at first. Unfortunately, prices started going up and exclusive deals were reached which meant we needed to pay for more than one service. Then cable got smart and started offering some shows only on their own streaming service like Picard on CBS All Access. So, even if you pay for cable, you'll still need to subscribe to that other service. One thing cable hasn't done is lower their prices, which is usually how businesses react when they're losing customers. That part is interesting to me. Basically, I think it's a constant battle between consumers and big companies.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Does The Weather Affect The Quality Of Music?
Next Topic: Hanging Out With Audiophiles
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 12 13:48:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout