Home » Audio » Source » Alternatives to Technics SL-1200
Alternatives to Technics SL-1200 [message #12800] Sun, 19 February 2006 15:15 Go to previous message
Anonymous is currently offline  Anonymous
Baron
Hello everyone,

I have been here about 2-3 months ago, with my questions about fixing an old Dual CS-505-2 turntable, and later about purchasing a new turntable. Well, I haven't done much with my old turntable (not really into it right now), but I still have a question (many, perhaps) about a NEW turntable (which I haven't yet purchased as well).

The Technics SL-1200 suggested by manualblock is a great one, although some say it is only great for DJing (where the quality of sound is not really important). Personally, I found it too expensive mostly because it has a lot of functions that I am never going to use (and that would bother me as well, more than the fact that I paid too much would). It is a DJ turntable, meaning it has all the functions necessary for scratching and beat matching, while I am looking for a turntable that would simply sound great.

Does anyone know any worthy and less-expensive alternatives to the Technics SL-1200? (I am looking for a new one.)

An ideal one would be a direct-drive turntable and have the same or nearly the same specifications on which the quality of sound depends (signal-to-noise ratio, Wow and flutter, and so on...) and features (three speeds (33, 45, and 78), pitch control, and a stroboscopic light).

...In other words, it would be a turntable that would compromise unnecessary DJ-functions (rather than compromising sound quality) to a lower price.

I have been able to locate one: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/turntables/c2b92193a60be297/index.html. Need your opinions as well.

Thank you very much!

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Any recommendations on DVD-A/SACD players?
Next Topic: Technics SL-23....does it have a pre-amp?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 23:42:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio