Home » Audio » Source » Going physical in digital era (Are physical releases still necessary?)
Re: Going physical in digital era [message #91579 is a reply to message #91577] Wed, 18 March 2020 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I used to always prefer physical copies of media. And for the material that's most important to me, I still do. In fact, I sometimes like to have multiple copies of the same material - Vinyl, CD and (mp3 or other) File. For video, I always try to find a BluRay copy of the material. I do this both for quality and so that I can have the liner notes and artwork. Having the datafile copy of the material is largely a convenience thing for me. It's easy to push it over a network or put it on a puck (which is what I call USB flash drives).

Now days, however, I sometimes find myself getting movies without media in a pure download form. Sometimes I don't even actually download the file, leaving it on a cloud server, usually Amazon. I only do this to save space, and I only do it with movies that I like enough to own (and think I or someone on my family will watch more than once) but I don't "love" the movie and so I don't want to take up space on my shelves with it.

I haven't started doing that same thing with music though. If I have a digital download of an album, it's because I bought the music on Vinyl or CD and it came with a free digital download. I have a ton of that kind of material on a puck, and I often use that in cars.

That's just how I do it these days.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message