Home » Audio » Source » Turntable Thoughts
Turntable Thoughts [message #12749] Wed, 01 February 2006 19:29 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Pondering a possible move on the table currently a stock 1984 Linn Sondek with a Black Ittok type III. I can upgrade; that would include a new main bearing and some suspension parts/outboard motor controller. Linn parts would equal about 1500$ for thosse upgrades if I bought used.
I am looking at the Loth X non-suspended table using a solid acrylic plinth and huge DC motor with a titanium main bearing of some integrity. The platter is massive. The Table is 1500 w/o arm. A nice Morch UDX 4 would compliment that set-up beautifully and runsabout 1200$ putting me at 3K$ with a brand new Shelter cartridge; 601 probably.
I use a pair of Loth X ION's as my small speakers and if you are familiar with them then enough said.
My quandry is one; I love the feel and warm sound of the linn even with the mid-bass hump; which compliments the flat frequency response of the PI Theater 4's nicely warming up the usual detail and open sound of the PI's.
But the Linn is a guilty pleasure in the sense that it helps older recordings; especially Jazz but can smooth out newer quality stuff a little more than should be acceptable. Especially using the Denon with a slightly rising High end.
Anyway I know I am not the only guy facing this choice; so I wonder what the general consensus might be regarding these types of considerations. Hopefully there are some replies here so I don't have to migrate to a more accepting site for this discussion.
Now more than ever there are serious re-issues of many eccellent older recordings of note. This makes the possibility of just chucking vinyl and focusing on CD less attractive than two or three years ago.
Looks like Vynil is here to stay.
This is brought home to me when I see beautifull re-issues of Buck Owens and The Buckeroos live at Carnegie Hall and the Byrds back catalogue. The Spirit Double Album I have been listening to is so organic and real I can't take it off the table. And my Copy of Appalachian Spring is transfixing.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Problems with turntable's ground wires, help needed.
Next Topic: greeting from Canuckville
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 15:50:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout