Home » Audio » Source » New DAC
New DAC [message #91424] Sat, 08 February 2020 20:06 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone. There are DACs everywhere and at all prices. Some are #$@%& and some sweet. Price is no guarantee of quality. I finally needed one and picked up a SMSL M8A. They run about $200US. A tiny thing about half the size of a paper back book. Nearly idiot proof...I tried. USB, optical and coax inputs. Simple to set up once you realize that it needs a driver file for the PC (a bit tricky to find on the site). They are supposed to work with nearly anything(MAC, LINIX, Android etc), that I can't verify. The driver is on the web and installs and runs fine. The sound is quite nice, it has about 6 different filter types and 9 sonic signatures you can use (tubes, SS, others). I like the smooth roll off and maximum linear phase setting with no sonic mods. Looking at the graphs they provide it seems that any filter/roll off combo ought to be fine, but then I'm not running DSD512 or PCM at 768K. My biggest complaint is that the display shows what you set the device for, not necessarily what it found as a file to convert. The setting is software controlled and you need to go to the Windows device manager to change it. This is not documented in the guide. A good device, just the one quirk. I use the 24/192 setting, it seems fine will all my files that range from 16/44 to 24/192.

BTW I use an older SIIG CE-70011-S1 24-96/192 to do the A-D conversion of LPs. I feed it from a Sim Audio Moon phono preamp (very analytical,very quiet but not my usual preamp for listening). The WAVs played back via the SMSL are quite nice.

Good Listening
Bruce

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Music Server Software
Next Topic: Display or no?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:49:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects