Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2 Pi tower build questions
Re: 2 Pi tower build questions [message #91311 is a reply to message #91305] Tue, 07 January 2020 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
Hi Onebean,

Glad you're having success with your build.

I've used rope caulk for many speakers and find it works well to dampen pressed steel woofer frames. It's also helped to put a bit of felt on top of the rope caulk where the frame faces the woofer cone. It's easy to secure the felt in place with long plastic ties.

The felt and the rope caulk are removable if you don't like the changes. I've tended to like the effect.

The one place I can tell you not to use the rope caulk is to seal the 2 Pi woofers to the cabinets. The back of the Eminence driver has a paper gasket and adding the rope caulk will bond to the paper gasket over time. Then when you try to remove the woofers they'll require too much force and you'll find the paper gasket gets torn up. It's a mess. Better to use weatherstripping (stuck to the cabinet rather than the woofer) or cut gaskets from shower pan liner like Wayne recommends.

Or, if your woofer cuts in the cabinet are clean don't even mess with additional gaskets. I only used the filler because the woofer cutouts are very uneven.

But do try it on the woofer frames. It's a fun, cheap tweak.

The crossover part swaps are interesting, too. The inductor got swapped for a 14 gauge unit and a small 0.1 cap was bipassed on the tweeter cap. Did both of the changes at once and found the towers sounded a bit richer. Bet if you had 10 people in the room 1/2 would like them better as they were and the other 1/2 would like the changes.

Fun to play, though.

Barry

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Constant directivity cornerhorn plan request
Next Topic: Flanking subs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 23:20:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations