Home » Audio » Radio » Refurbishing '60's or 70's Era Stereos
Re: Refurbishing '60's or 70's Era Stereos [message #91843 is a reply to message #91841] Thu, 07 May 2020 10:50 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Well, and to your point, some of those 1970s receivers were wonderful. I agree with you about Harman Kardon gear. And Marantz made some good stuff too. That was also the era of the entry of higher-quality Japanese imports. Some of them took us by surprise because most considered Japanese gear to be cheap and low-quality. But I remember how much Yamaha gear surprised me. By the late 1070s, I think they were my favorite brand of receivers.

Maybe I should clarify myself, since I think my comments are what veered this thread into a discussion about what "junk" was made in the 1950s, 60s and 70s.

In a lot of ways, the 1950s and 1960s were when things were made the best, in my opinion. It was also America's boom years, and there was a lot to like about things "Made in America." And as I said, I think by the late-70s, Japanese manufacturers were starting to make some really good stuff too.

But what I was trying to say was there was a lot of junk made back then too, as in all eras. And there was a lot of equipment that wasn't terrible, but that wasn't particularly good either. Think about all those "console stereos" of the 1950s and 1960s. And the "all-in-ones" of the 1970s, having a record player with ceramic cartridge on a plastic tone arm, AM/FM and eight-track tape.

And even many separates were pretty bad. There were lots of cassette decks in the 1970s that sounded terrible, especially the top-loaders. You could find really great cassette decks by the late 1970s that rivaled reel-to-reel performance, which was amazing given the tape speed. But most cassette decks weren't all that hot. Same with turntables. There were some excellent ones, but many of the lower-priced turntables were nasty little plastic things with ceramic cartridges.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Why do people want antique radios?
Next Topic: What does the future hold?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 14:47:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout