Home » Audio » Home Theater » Ad blocker for smart T.V.?
Re: Ad blocker for smart T.V.? [message #90111 is a reply to message #90104] Sat, 13 April 2019 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Augustus is currently offline  Augustus
Baron
Rusty wrote on Fri, 12 April 2019 09:56
I don't know if this is of any help, or if you've tried. https://www.consumerreports.org/privacy/how-to-turn-off-smart-tv-snooping-features/
Hey man, I appreciate that you're trying to help. I'm pretty tech savvy, so here's the thing, as soon as I got my television going the first thing I did was turn off all the tracking and snooping features. I read my manuals and agreements carefully and I did everything I could to kick corporate out of my television. It didn't matter!

I was wrong in how I thought this tech operated. I thought that by turning off all those features, that I was literally stopping any type of privacy invasion. I assumed that changing the options actually changed the code since it's a smart television. In reality, as a consumer I have little control over the device I paid for. Any changes I make are merely treated as a suggestion. It doesn't change the code and whatever corporation gets involved can hijack my television to make more money. Even if they're punished down the road it seems that they'll make enough money off the data that the inevitable class action lawsuit and fine is worth it to them.

Sorry for the wall of text.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message