Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Star Trek, anyone?
Re: Star Trek, anyone? [message #89477 is a reply to message #89474] Wed, 02 January 2019 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I love Star Trek!

My favorite is the original cast. And the movies with the original cast too.

My second favorite is the "Star Trek: Enterprise" series and cast. I liked them because they seemed most realistically human.

That "realistically human" criteria is why I didn't like the "Next Generation" as much. I liked many of the characters, like Data, Commander Riker, Deanna Troi, Beverly Crusher and Geordi. But they are impossibly idealistic, especially Captain Picard. The TNG cast doesn't act much like humans really do, and instead act a lot like how we'd like to think of ourselves.

Some would say that's 'cause it's set in the future and we've advanced. But take a look at the changes in humanity over the last 5000 years or so. You can find Sumerian texts written in cuneiform that describe behaviors exactly the same as today. So while we've changed what we've played with, we haven't changed how we play. That made the TNG series hopelessly unbelievable to me.

I did like the Borg though. Cool enemy concept. The "Q" character was cool too, but his interactions with the Enterprise crew show more than anything else that unrealistic idealism I was just talking about. We somehow always look much more benevolent than this childish "Q" creature. It's way too patronizing.

I never really got into the other spin-offs, like "Voyager" and "Deep Space Nine." I might have to give them a try sometime, but at first glance, they aren't really interesting to me. Maybe they'll grow on me if I watch an episode or three.

I kind of dig the latest cast from the most recent Star Trek movies though. Chris Pine is great as Captain Kirk and Zachary Quinto was the perfect Spock. Dr. "Bones" McCoy is played most convincingly by Karl Urban. Sadly, Anton Yelchin can't be Chekov any more because he was perfect in that role. What amazed me about him was how well he imitated Walter Koenig, who made several mistakes when imitating a Russian accent. This struck me as so ironic because Yelchin actually was Russian. So he had to imitate Koenig's mistakes, and he did it perfectly.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Golden Globes Speculation
Next Topic: What is More Important in a Song: Meaning or Sound?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 17:18:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio