Home » Audio » Source » Grado Sonata II
Grado Sonata II [message #89308] Thu, 06 December 2018 20:54 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone, as a devoted analog listener and owner of several turntables, tonearms and cartridges I thought I would pass along some thoughts on the Grado Sonata II (not the I version). YMMV as always and your ears are not mine, and your system is certainly not like mine.....disclaimers finished. I have the cartridge mounted in an Origin Live arm on an Empire 598 (series 1). I use all tube electronics and bi-amp feed Martin Logan ESLs for the above 40HZ and 15 inch Great Plains Audio (new manufacture Altec Lansing ) 15 inch drivers in 7 cubic foot vented enclosures for the bottom end. The Grado now has about 150 hours on it and is well "broken in". If you like female vocalists and jazz or acoustic instuments this is a killer cartridge. Wide sound stage, accurate centering and just plain lovely sound. Slightly better than most for residual groove noise. It is no slouch on other stuff as I like that too. It has a really solid and clear bottom end and hits all the highs quite nicely. It is not as "energetic" as my Dynavector Karat23MR-RS, but then not a lot of cartridges are. As a medium price cartridge I believe it to be a good buy (runs about $600). The less expensive series II Grados (skip the lower cost wood bodies) are also pretty good (I have tried several) and the "gold" one is my choice. Not in the same league, but then it is about $260 and has user replaceable stylus. The Sonata must be sent out to re-tip.

Good Listening
Bruce

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Scratchy Sound Of Turntable
Next Topic: Audio Technica AT20SL versus AT20SLa
Goto Forum: