Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Amp for 4pi speakers (Integrated stereo amp without dsp or AVR with audyssey)
Re: Amp for 4pi speakers [message #89294 is a reply to message #89293] Fri, 30 November 2018 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
vandevoordekoen wrote on Fri, 30 November 2018 10:47
Can I get good EQ with 200$ budget for EQ? If so, any advise?
Any thoughts about MiniDSP 2x4?

Equalizers aren't terribly expensive. I'm not a big fan of the old analog graphic equalizers but do like parametric and digital equalizers. The MiniDSP is fine.

vandevoordekoen wrote on Fri, 30 November 2018 10:47
- what small woofer would you advice as helper-woofer in 80-200hz range?
- what small woofers would you advice in multiple sub config?
- Is passive low-pass crossover possible with an external amp or is it better to use plate-amps with active crossover?

I must admit that all the drivers I use need pretty large boxes. So I'm not sure my suggestions will work for you, since all need at least 50 liters boxes and most need closer to 75 or 100 liters.

But in that class - for "helper woofers" - I'd use JBL 2226H, Eminence Definimax 4012 or Eminence LAB12. Of those, the first two are actually midwoofers. You could probably use a midwoofer like the Alpha 10 in a smaller box and it would cost less. Any of the before-mentioned woofers work well as "helper woofers" flanking the mains.

For distributed multisubs, you really need a driver tuned to be used as a subwoofer, like the LAB12. There are lots of drivers in that class - You could even use a small diameter car subwoofer. The main thing to consider here - if you need to put it in a small box - is that its electro-mechanical characteristics allow it to be used in a small box and still give good bass extension. This kind of tuning will be inefficient, but again, using several will help generate the SPL required as well as provide modal smoothing.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message