Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Amp for 4pi speakers (Integrated stereo amp without dsp or AVR with audyssey)
Re: Amp for 4pi speakers [message #89293 is a reply to message #89292] Fri, 30 November 2018 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
vandevoordekoen is currently offline  vandevoordekoen
Chancellor
Wayne Parham wrote on Fri, 30 November 2018 09:40
The flanking subs did exactly what I would have expected, which was to reduce 15dB ripple in the 100-200Hz region to 6dB ripple. That's a "textbook case" of what to expect. Flanking subs can smooth the range a little lower than 100Hz - usually down to 80Hz and sometimes as low as 60Hz - but below 60-80Hz is where distributed multisubs work best.

Nice to read that I (and the room) did things right there. Smile

Quote:
As for over-representation in the 100-300Hz range, that's not really something the flanking sub configuration can address. Flanking subs don't usually go that high and even if they did, they will generally add energy rather than cancel it.

I guess my expectations were wrong here. Should have read your paper better. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
And as frequency rises above 200Hz, sound becomes more statistical - a reverberent field - so it tends to become more of an average sound level and not distinct modes. That's where the EQ will become more effective.

Can I get good EQ with 200$ budget for EQ? If so, any advise?
Any thoughts about MiniDSP 2x4?

Quote:
...flanking subs don't have to dig deep, they just have to blend with the mains in the 80-200Hz range. So they don't necessarily need to be large. And distributed multisubs - placed further away - can be small and relatively inefficient because the fact that you are using several tends to increase SPL. So you can use relatively small boxes, and that helps when trying to work with the room decor.

OK, interesting. I have 3 more questions here...

- what small woofer would you advice as helper-woofer in 80-200hz range?
- what small woofers would you advice in multiple sub config?
- Is passive low-pass crossover possible with an external amp or is it better to use plate-amps with active crossover?

What is the budget I have to keep in mind for flanking subs/multiple subs? Cool

All the best.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message